Sunday 9 October 2011

Revolting Expressions

Eeeew!!

Can we retire revolting expressions like:

a bit rich for my blood
abort for cancel
anoint someone as your successor
anything involving lips (bring a chuckle to the lips of...)
anything involving tongues (tongues will wag! give tongue)
bile
bleeding heart
liberal
blistering (but why is speed blistering?)
blood curdling
bloodbath
bowels of the earth
chew the fat
clout
cough up
cram

drool over

drool
with envy
egg on your face
fester
flesh out
fleshpots
(Bible – means something like casserole, but used as metaphor)
get your (creative) juices flowing
gives me goose-flesh
glut
gut feeling

gut wrenching
(unaccountably popular 2008)
guts
guzzle
(for consume, especially when talking about oil)
haemorrhaging funds (not as common as used to be)
I couldn’t stomach it.
I feel it in my water.
I was sick to my stomach.
I won’t waste my breath.
in bad odour
in the bowels of the earth
in the flesh
it doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue
it froze my blood
lacked stomach for the fight
lance the boil (for solve the problem)
leaves a bad/nasty taste in the mouth
lick your wounds
lickspittle
loins
make old bones

men of that kidney
(obsolete)
mouthwatering
My blood ran cold.
my gorge rose
on everybody’s lips
on the tip of my tongue
on/with an empty stomach
phlegm (displayed extreme phlegm)
plethora
put some flesh on the bones (of a thin story)
putrid
raises its ugly head
ram X down your throat (usually something inappropriate like "gay sex" or "abortion")
re-open an old wound
rump (parliament, of company after selloff etc)
running sore on the body politic (as people were fond of writing in Victorian times)
satiate
sealed in blood

self-flagellating

sick
with envy
slaver in anticipation
slavering
sour (v)

spawn (n and v)

spew
(especially “bile”)
stomach-churning
straddle

strong meat

suck
all the romance out of it
suck it up
suppurating
(misery)
sweats for sweat suit, sweat suit trousers and particularly sweat pants
swell for expand, inflate, balloon
the bulk of (don’t know why, just sounds ugly)
The old sores have not healed.
they soured on X
vent your spleen
visceral
whet
the appetite
with your tongue hanging out
wounds have not healed
You’re licked!

No comments:

Post a Comment